Saturday, January 17, 2009

adventures, detours, and homing instincts

Well, what can I say? Adventures are often unplanned!

After a special night at the Aegean Coast (our audience was AMAZING!!!) we headed out to Eyebrow the following afternoon.

Colleen and I started driving down Highway #1 and soon realized that it would be a long road ahead. The road conditions were bad - icy, slippery, wind blowing snow across the road, drifting and so on and so forth. We drove slowly though and made it to Moose Jaw for a little break at Timmy's before the next half of the journey.

We had a great time laughing at each other and swapping songs and stories. (I told Colleen that I need her in my back pocket because she laughs at my jokes and sense of humour ; )

When we got to the Tuxford turn off we took a little, okay, more like a BIG detour that led us through mile after mile of gravel roads and unfamiliar territory. I was a little suspicious but Colleen assured me she knew where we were and so we forged on through the drifts as the dusk settled in.

Just as we decided we were officially lost, and after a couple of phone calls to Amy and Caylen's place, we landed on the highway 11 km outside of Eyebrow!

In the end, the detour was worth it. We saw two Moose in a farm yard and they just stared back at us while we took pictures and gawked at their immense size and beauty. I decided to try my hand at calling to them and that was when Colleen got more than a little anxious so we started the motor and took off.

It was also great because it was the perfect story for the road - bad weather, getting lost, and then finding our way in the end!!!

But, by far, the best part was arriving and doing the show for the little group that gathered for our concert. They were so generous and attentive and it was a delight to sing and play for them. We stayed after to eat some goodies and talk with people and then it was off into the dark and blustery night to get back to Regina. We were graciously invited to stay with people but I was determined to kiss my boys good night so we chose the road and it got us home safe and sound.

Today is Saturday - Colleen is sharing her music with the people at Silva Care and I am with my boys having a "family day" minus Josh ) : with the Hallett clan in Moose Jaw.

Tomorrow we will be back on the road heading to Raymore (my hometown) and Strasbourg (Coleen's hometown for now and another one of my hometowns!) so we have lots to look forward to.

If and when Colleen reads this I hope she posts some of the pictures of the Moose so you believe me!

1 comment: