Monday, January 12, 2009

Dara's inspirations

I am one of those composers that need to be inspired before I can write a song. There is so much in this world to be inspired or infuriated by though so I have no shortage of material!

The songs I have written in the last year are mostly to do with living life among the people of Pelican Narrows. My heart has been touched by the tragedy and beauty that shows itself within this place.

"Come Down" is a song that I have found many people can relate to. That is wonderful because it was a collaboration between Josh and I. He had the music for a number of months knocking around in his guitar and I had the words set to a very cheezy piece of piano music. Once I scrapped the original melody and put Josh's southern gospel guitar style into the words it became something very catchy. It has a message of hope in spite of problems and I love to sing it after I share about the difficulties that many people face.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel!

One song I wrote that many people have been touched by is "Marie". If I had a recording of it this would be the appropriate time to do a link but I'll leave that for now ( :

"Marie" is a song I wrote about and for a beautiful young girl that spends time with me and my family. She has a sister and brother who also come around on a regular basis and it has been a humbling experience to view my problems in light of hers.

It was heartwarming this weekend when a fellow gave me a ring that lights up to pass on to my dear little friend I sang about. He said to share with her that there is always light in a dark place. I will be sure to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment