Monday, January 19, 2009

Saturday: grandparents & Glasgow

Our big Saturday event was cancelled about a week ago. It was to be a late Christmas party for Silva Care Nursing homes, but there were not enough RSVPs to justify using the Connexus Arts Centre. So we offered to do unplugged private performances at their two homes. Then Dara found out that her husband's parents were coming from Calgary on the weekend and really wanted to see the grandsons. Our new plans meant Dara was free to take the boys to Moose Jaw all day Saturday (where she found a few minutes update the blog about Eyebrow).

I spent Saturday morning with the Four-Door Arts Forum. After several gatherings to do art, get to know one another, dream and pray, our group was ready to focus on developing mission and mandate statements. After lunch I borrowed my brother's vehicle to go sing for Silva Care, and rejoined the arts forum for the conclusion of the brainstorming and a scrumptious supper at Viet Thai (13th & Albert). We ordered waaay too much food and sent it with Steve and Leanne to bless their teenage daughter who had opted to stay home.

Silva Care was delightful. The homes, owned and operated by David and Heidi D'Silva. Each home has seven beds and they really are homes, with lovely decor and a very personal feel. All of the residents seemed so contented or even happy with their situations. And who couldn't be with 3 and a half year old Rosario to entertain and attend to them? Rosario is David and Heidi's daughter who clearly loves all of these grandparents living next door. She wanted to sing with me, which I found delightful. There's nothing like a sing-a-long with children and elders.

I also performed some of my own songs. In the first home, after "Prairie Soul," Katherine said, "I'm so glad someone else feels the same way as me." She had spent 2 years in Geneva, Switzerland and was so relieved to return home to the prairies. (Last night driving past Duval at sunset, Dara had a similar experience of wonder and relief - Saskatchewan may be the land of the living skies, but in our forested northern region, the sunsets can be truncated by trees.)

In the second home, we had to wait for Angus, because he really wanted to sing. Ella was humming a tune and informed me, "I always have a song in my head." I hope I'm that pleasant and tuneful at 92! Little Rosario was thirsty and served dixie cups of water to everyone. Again, she joined me for some sing-along songs and I did a few of my own plus a couple of oldies and hymns. About 20 minutes in there was a pause as I pondered my list for the next song. Suddenly Reggie (a lady) said, "Sing us a song, Angus." I suggested that we all do "Amazing Grace together."

After the living room concert in each home we moved to the dining room for tea and cake. In the second home, Rosario could hardly wait to be told where she could sit. "I want to eat with the residents!" She sat next to Angus, who surprised me several minutes in when he muttered, "Sing a song," then broke into an old Scottish folk tune in his heavy Scottish accent. I urged him to sing another for us. He chuckled, muttered, "sing a song," and regaled us with "I Belong to Glasgow" - a rousing drinking song. Reggie, still in the living room, belted it out with him (listen; lyrics). After a long, animated story from Rosario, Reggie initiated another song for all of us to sing: "The Old Rugged Cross." Quite a contrast: from pints in Glasgow to the foot of the Old Rugged Cross!

Dara and I have been staying with her very generous mother for touring days. We arrived "home" within half an hour of each other to put the boys to bed and plan for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment